List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: K3b can't find source CD to copy
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-12-26 12:33:33

Serge posted <200512251946.05580.serge@yotvata.com>, excerpted below,  on
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:46:05 +0200:

> I am using the 0.2.10 version [masked] and it works great.

That's what I'm running here, and I haven't unmasked it.  Perhaps you mean
~amd64 keyworded?

There's a difference between masked (listed in package.mask, also known as
"hard" masked, indicating either serious known issues, or something so
raw upstream that there could be unknown serious issues yet to appear) and
~arch keyworded (~ denoting either an upstream beta released on Gentoo for
testing, in preparation for upstream full release, thus a version not
likely to ever go stable, or an upstream release with no known serious
issues, but where the Gentoo ebuild hasn't been fully tested yet, thus an
upstream version considered stable, with a Gentoo ebuild in line for
stable after testing).

Especially for those of us running ~arch by default, that difference is
huge, because it's the difference between being merged by default in an
upgrade, and requiring manual unmasking to get it to merge.