List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Put program in menu
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-12-09 21:36:41

J.A.H. posted <4399FDE6.3020707@ispmonsters.com>, excerpted below,  on
Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57:58 -0800:

> Gnome took out its menu editor. SMEG is masked on my computer. I did an
> emerge with -S (edit.*menu)|(menu.*edit) and this is what I got... smeg
> is the only package returned that will work.

FWIW, my opinion but, Gnome taking out the ability for users to reasonably
tweak it (without hand-editing text files or some something that reminds
me of the MSWormOS Registry) is the reason I'm a solid KDE user.  Gnome
seems to be more and more targeted at corporate types that don't like the
desktop messed with anyway, and AOLer types that are afraid or lack the
initiative to change much anyway.  KDE, OTOH, continues to allow the power
user to tweak things to change what they want to change, menus and colors
included, with the applets to change both of those part of kdebase.

If you like tweaking stuff like menu layout, my guess is that you'll be
happier with KDE anyway.  (Of course, there are lighter alternatives, such
as xfce, if desired, as well, but KDE matches my style better than the
others seem to, in part because it's devs /allowed/ it to match my style,
because I can still tweak it to do so.)

I just have a thing against windowing environments with devs that are so
sure they know better than I do what *I* want, that they are actually
deliberately REMOVING functionality to ensure it's more difficult for me
to get what I want than it was previously...  One of the few non-KDE X
apps I continue to use is PAN, because it actually put back IN the
customizable hotkey functionality, due to user demand, after GTK2 removed
it, because customized keyboard functionality didn't fit in with the
Gnome2/GTK2 HID.