List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: ati-driver 8.16.20 and kernel 2.6.12
From:       Chris Ritchey <rethnor () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 23:32:39

> If you can't simply accept it as my opinion, even with *ALL* those
> disclaimers to that effect, if you can't simply skip the paragraph so
> clearly marked off as <strong-personal-opinion>, than that's your problem,
> not mine.  "Slaveryware" *IS* my personal opinion on the subject, and
> while you may disagree, and have every right to challenge it publicly, it
> still remains my personal opinion, which I too have the right to hold,
> just as you hold yours, and to express.
Be careful with it being something being alright and legit "for you"
because it is just YOUR opinion. Millions of lives have been lost and
enslaved because of someones opinion, it's called ignorance it's
devastating effect has been demonstrated in the past. in many
countries. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Back to our regularly scheduled program. I run a 9800 non pro, but
still not supported by the open source drivers. When I upgraded to the
2.6.11 kernel I had the same problem. emerged the new kernel with the
symlinks flag so /usr/src/linux points to the new kernel. Then
recompiled the kernel (make && make modules_install && make install)
then reemerged the ati-drivers and ran the opengl-update ati (not sure
if this is the right name) program

So here is how a fixed a similar problem:
1) emerge new kernel with USe="symlink" or symlink manually
2) compile and install kernel
3) emerge ati-drivers
4) opengl-update ati

Not sure if this will work but hope it helps. Oh I think the problem I
was having is that the new kernel didn't have the ati modules
installed, they were installed for the old kernel. Wanna know Irony? I
originally bought ATI for HL2 and cause Nvidia was slipping a little
according reviews. Plus I was running windows at the time, btw ati
drivers still sucked in windows IMO.  So now I try to run HL2 through
cedega and now ati can't run pixel shaders with HL2... irony.

hope it helps.

--
Chris Ritchey

Despite the past
Thank the present
Pray for the future
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge"
   -Proverbs 1:7