List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: help with migrating gentoo
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-04-25 17:50:10

Chris Barker posted <426D2188.4050205@noaa.gov>, excerpted below,  on Mon,
25 Apr 2005 09:57:44 -0700:

> Spider wrote:
>>>Now I want to save my mails, configurations, my emerged files, my xorg
>>>configurations (getting the display right was a lot of work), etc etc
>>>etc...
>
> The advise already given is great, except that I usually back up all of
> /etc -- why not?
>
> Also, I like to keep /usr/local on a separate partition (as well as
> /home), as I install stuff there that there are no ebuilds for, and I
> may want some of that with a new system.

I keep many separate partitions.  /home, of course, and /usr/local, for
all my locally created scripts and the like.  I also keep a separate
portage tree partition, as that's both installation independent and easily
downloadable if I need to, and sources cache and bin-pkg dirs, with their
separate functions and because I can quickly rebuild the system from
binpkgs if necessary.  I also keep a separate /usr/src, for my kernels
which I download straight off of kernel.org and install on my own.  /var
is on its own, with /var/log separate for space management purposes (if I
have a runaway log, it doesn't kill all of /var).  /tmp is on its own to
keep my temp stuff off the other partitions.  I have $PORTAGE_TMPDIR set
to /tmp keeping it off of /var so /var can be small (mail and news I also
keep on separate partitions).  /boot is also on its own.

That leaves / and the core of /usr as my installed system, both of which
I have snap-shot mirrored to a second set of partitions, for backup
purposes in case my main system gets hosed.  Further, I have two
additional snapshots of them, plus a second /boot and independent LILO
installation on a second disk.  Thus, I actually have a working and backup
disk, each with working and backup snapshots of / and /usr, plus single
backup snapshots of the rest of an operational system, on the backup disk,
giving me two semi-independent installations on each of two entirely
independent disks, in case something should break somewhere.  On each of
those four copies of /, I also have two copies of my fstab and partition
tables, giving me eight copies of those, should something break.

Therefore, to "clean install", if it came to it, I'd simply resnapshot my
working copy of my working disk to the backup copy and the working copy on
my backup disk, giving me essentially three "current" snapshots, plus my
older backup disk backup which would remain untouched just in case.
After testing the snapshots, I'd then mkXfs (where X in my case is reiser,
but that's personal preference) my main working copy, and could then work
from my working-backup to install a new stage-1 on the now-clean normally
working / and /usr partitions.  I could then either bootstrap from
stage-one in the conventional manner, or once I had set up my fstab and
mounted my portage tree and binpkg partitions, I could emerge -k
everything from the existing binary packages.

$cat /etc/fstab
# Common MntOpts: (a)sync,atime,auto(mount),dev,exec,_netdev,ro/rw,suid,user(s)
# defaults:       auto,async,dev,exec,rw,suid,nouser
# user(s) note:   user(s) may (un)mount, implies noexec,nosuid,nodev
# no- prefix:     negates except (a)sync,_netdev,ro/rw,defaults
# Removable fs type note: Auto(detect) may be slow. Use comma type1,type2,type3.
# vfat type last, as it's not verified, and can overwrite others w/o checking.
# udf (packet written optical) slow, but s/b b4 iso9660 if present.
# Thus, Floppy: ext2,<whatever>,vfat/msdos. CD/DVD: udf,iso9660 or simply iso9660.
# Dev/Part      MntPnt                  Type            MntOpt
  Dump FSCK
# for mount --bind, --rbind, and --move # /old/dir      /new/dir
     none            bind                    0 0
# partitions in order on disk

/dev/hda1       /boot                   reiserfs        noatime,noauto          1 2
/dev/hda2       /                       reiserfs        noatime                 1 1
/dev/hda3       /m/bk                   reiserfs        noatime,noauto          1 2
/dev/hda4       ignore                  ignore          extended-partition      0 0
/dev/hda5       /usr                    reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda6       /p                      reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda7       /p/src                  reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda8       /p/pkg                  reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda9       /usr/src                reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda10      /usr/local              reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda11      /var                    reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda12      /var/log                reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda13      /m/x/cc                 reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda14      /m/x/kldb               reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda15      /home                   reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda16      /m/x/n                  reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda17      /m/x/mail               reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
/dev/hda18      /m/x/mm                 reiserfs        noatime                 1 2
**133GB-clear   ignore                  ignore          133GB-clear             0 0
/dev/hda19      /m/bk/usr               reiserfs        noatime,noauto          1 2
/dev/hda20      /tmp                    reiserfs        noatime                 1 2

/dev/hdc1       /m/bk/boot              reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc2       /m/bk                   reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc3       /m/bk/mnt/bk            reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc4       ignore                  ignore          extended-partition      0 0
/dev/hdc5       /m/bk/usr               reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc6       /m/bk/mnt/p             reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc7       /m/bk/mnt/p/src         reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc8       /m/bk/mnt/p/pkg         reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc9       /m/bk/usr/src           reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc10      /m/bk/usr/local         reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc11      /m/bk/var               reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc12      /m/bk/var/log           reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc13      /m/bk/mnt/x/ccache      reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc14      /m/bk/tmp               reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0
/dev/hdc15      /m/bk/home              reiserfs        noatime,noauto          0 0

# special devices, removables
proc            /proc                   proc            noauto                  0 0
dev             /dev                    tmpfs           mode=0755,size=5m,noauto 0 0
pts             /dev/pts                devpts          mode=0620,noauto        0 0
shm             /dev/shm                tmpfs           noauto                  0 0
usb             /proc/bus/usb           usbfs           noauto                  0 0
/dev/hdd        /m/cd                   iso9660         user,exec,noauto,ro     0 0
/dev/hdb        /m/dvd                  udf,iso9660     user,exec,noauto,ro     0 0
/dev/fd0        /m/fd                   ext2,msdos      user,exec,noauto,sync   0 0