List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: KDE 3.4 system notifier doesn't like Oggs (now the default)
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-04-21 16:25:29

Duncan posted <pan.2005.04.21.15.16.56.901559@cox.net>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:16:57 -0700:

> Anyway, for now, it looks like kdelibs is the most likely culprit.  I just
> emerged a new 3.4.0-r1 version of it, as well, and still have silent oggs.
> I guess I'll have to check the config section of the emerge log and see if
> there were any libogg or libvorbis detection errors.

Didn't find anything useful.

However, playing around with the external player option, it seems artsplay
will play it, without popping up a window like kaboodle does, conflicting
with ARTS in general since ARTS hogs the sound devices, as aplay does, or
causing an interruption of my playing program in noatun, if I have it set
to only one instance, or failing to shut the temp instance down if not,
soon giving me 100 instances!

So, artsplay it is, for now, anyway...  I have sounds again!