List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Needed Kernel Hearders?
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-03-30 20:42:33

Justin Denick posted <81e08d92050330100428c03883@mail.gmail.com>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:04:09 -0500:

> I'm sure this has been posted before, so I will also ask how one would
> go about searching previously posted threads.
>
> Why, if I'm using a 2.6.11 kernel, would I need
> sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.8.1?
> I made the mistake of unmerging it and found that nothing would
> compile, giving the error:
>
> C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>
> Aren't there more current headers out there?

Yes, take a look at this:

$emerge -p linux-headers

Calculating dependencies  ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.11

However, I'm guessing they are still ~arch for at least some archs.  (I
run ~amd64 by default.)

The kernel headers from the kernel itself aren't always in a perfectly
sane state, for use by user-space applications.  Thus, a somewhat cleaned
up and slower updating kernel headers package is traditionally located
with other installed package headers, under /usr/include.  When you
unmerged that package, configure couldn't find stuff that can be quite
vital, such as the standard length of an address pointer (32-bit on x86
and most 32-bit platforms, 64-bit on x86_64, aka amd64, and most other
64-bit platforms), which may or may not be the same as the standard length
of a long integer (it normally is on x86, where both are 32-bit, but that
isn't always the case on some 64-bit platforms, for instance, where a long
int might be 32-bit while an address pointer is 64-bit, but on other
64-bit platforms, they are both 64-bit).