List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gentoo hangs up. Solution is found!!!
From:       Chris Smart <taskara () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2005-03-29 23:00:29

Hi Rychkov,

The problem is not gentoo, the problem is your hardware. MANY computers
out there are not 100% stable, but continue to work because they are not
fully stressed when in operation.

Take your computer and Redhat for example. Redhat is a binary
distribution, and as such your computer was probably never fully
stressed and hence "instability" was not experienced.
Had you run a stress test under Redhat, I am confident that you would
have started seeing instabilities when they were run.

By the same token, should you have installed Gentoo with binary GRP
packages, I feel you would not have experienced instability.

This is why every computer I have built (and it is thousands) is fully
stress tested and ironed out for bugs.

So my point is that your computer was never meant to work with those
settings you had it set at, and Gentoo revealed it because it uses 100%
of your computers resources when compiling. So it is not a problem with
Gentoo at all. In fact Gentoo has done you a favour in showing you these
problems - otherwise they will lead to an early death for your pc and
data corruption and all sorts of nasties down the track.

The truth is that your computer still probably not 100% stable. As a
test you can try running memtest86 on it, but the real test is something
that stresses the computer - I recommend PRIME95.

Hope this helps you understand,

Cheers,

Chris