List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Firefox 1.0.2 ??
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2005-03-26 17:57:14

On Saturday 26 March 2005 16:17, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 10:49 +0800, CZ Tan wrote:
> > I check whats need to be upgraded and emerge when needed. e.g security
> > issues or new features. I'm not a programmer by profession, was
> > wondering, if its possible to sync via something like bittorrent?
>
> No.  Bittorrent is designed for serving out a single large file, not
> thousands of tiny files.  It would be possible to distribute entire
> snapshots that way, but that wastes a lot of bandwidth all around and
> expects everyone to download the *entire* portage tree every time.

BitTorrent works perfectly fine serving directories of files, so I'm not sure
where you get the idea that it only does individual files from. BT doesn't
redownload files that you already have, either. Advanced clients like
BitTornado will even allow you to set individual files with a priority or
never-download.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios