List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop]  Re: Re: Blackbox & bbconf
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2005-03-25 23:49:52

Chris Barker posted <42444517.8050607@noaa.gov>, excerpted below,  on Fri,
25 Mar 2005 09:06:31 -0800:

> Another option is so specify the DPI you want X to use at the startx
> command line:
>
> startx -- -dpi 100
>
> I like this better, as I find that with high resolution monitors, I don't
> want the "Actual" resolution anyway. A 12pt font is really pretty small
> for viewing on a screen, even if it is really 12pt.

Probably the reason I passed that over is that I run multiple monitors,
and until recently was running different sized monitors, so a single dpi
for both doesn't work well.  AFAIK, setting the appropriate DisplaySize
parameter in the individual monitor sections in xorg.conf is the only way
to get that right.

Of course, one doesn't /have/ to set the actual size.  I'm running 22"
monitors here (well, a 21" and a 22"), 400x300 mm, but if I wished, I
could tell it I was running something else, which along with the
resolution, would cause it to set the dpi accordingly.