List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Trouble with message rejection with sendmail
From:       Harry Putnam <reader () newsguy ! com>
Date:       2005-03-24 15:52:14

[NOTE: New user alert...]
Group,
Everytime I change OS or decide to upgrade majorly, I get hopelessly
intangled in sendmail.

I'm not ready to switch to something else yet so posts advising me to
switch are not in order.
As Internet security mindedness becomes more intense, sendmail continues
to change and evolve.  Unfortunately I have'nt be able to keep up.

My problem:
I run a home network of several comps, on a home made network domain:
local.net0 or 192.168.0.0.  I use homemade names for the computer and
have no real domain other than my ISP sbcglobal.net  on the internet
side of my dsl modem

My machines are all behind a dsl modem on a dsl router/firewall
My mail smtp host though  is smtp.newsguy.com.

Locally sent mail from the machine running gentoo is being rejected,
because of the home made domain name `reader.local.net0', I think.  I've
been able to use `Masquerade as' and `masquerade envelope' to get around
that for years.  Masquerading as newsguy.com.

That no longer works.  I'm not sure what these logs mean exactly but
have commented on them what I think they might mean.  I'd appreciate
someone straightening me out where its wrong..

Here I inject a  message into the sendmail process.  using bergkely
`mail'. Its addressed to reader@newsguy.com.

   Mar 24 09:14:43 [sendmail] j2OFEh4m017100: from=reader, size=70,
   class=0, nrcpts=1,
   msgid=<200503241514.j2OFEh4m017100@reader.local.net0>,
   relay=reader@localhost

Apparently my local machine has accepted it

I''m not sure what is happening here... I guess [sm-mta] is the
submission part of sendmail (submit.cf).  And its pushing this message
onward

   Mar 24 09:14:43 [sm-mta] j2OFEhEC017101
   from=<reader@reader.local.net0>, size=370, class=0, nrcpts=1,
   msgid=<200503241514.j2OFEh4m017100@reader.local.net0>, proto=ESMTP,
   daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Again not sure what is going on here.  But it appears that the other
part of sendmail is agreeing and sending this message onward.

   Mar 24 09:14:43 [sendmail] j2OFEh4m017100: to=reader@newsguy.com,
   ctladdr=reader (1000/100), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
   mailer=relay, pri=30070, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0,
   stat=Sent (j2OFEhEC017101 Message accepted for delivery)

Here it appears the remote smtp host has not accepted or at least has
ignored the submission long enough for it to time out.  For the record
newsguy is not down and I just sent and collected a test message to
verify from another machine via thunderbird.

   Mar 24 09:15:43 [sm-mta] j2OFEhEC017101: to=<reader@newsguy.com>,
   ctladdr=<reader@reader.local.net0> (1000/100), delay=00:01:00,
   xdelay=00:01:00, mailer=relay, pri=30370,
   relay=smtp.newsguy.com. [129.250.170.69], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
   Connection timed out with smtp.newsguy.com.

Can someone here help me?