List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: xorg
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-02-09 18:19:30

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 09:59 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> still on Mandrake, I was running the NVidia slaveryware drivers because
> while still on MSWormOS thinking about switching to Linux, I hadn't
> realized the difference between "Linux drivers", which could be
> slaveryware or freedomware, and "open source" or "freedomware" drivers,
> and had verified that the card I got supported dual video out in Linux,
> but had NOT verified it supported it with freedomware drivers.  Thus, I
> was stuck with the slaveryware drivers until my next video card upgrade
> round, and I learned real fast that I was best served choosing runlevel
> three (on Mandrake, fully operational but non-X) as the default rather
> than runlevel 5 (booting the dm), since the slaveryware drivers would
> refuse to initialize if I'd just changed the kernel or something.  If I

I've told you this before.  LEAVE THIS CRAP OFF THE LISTS.

I mean, it would be one thing if your account were even ACCURATE.  After
all, the kernel module portion of the Nvidia drivers is open source,
which also just happens to be the portion that BROKE when you changed
the kernel.  Just like it would have happened with any other external
kernel module that is not patched into your kernel source tree... open
source or not.  I would say that you simply don't have a clue what
you're talking about in regards to drivers which are partially
closed-source and partially open source, but the truth is that I'm sure
you do know better and are simply misstating the truth to further your
position.  You are simply trying to push your own agenda on people by
using terms like "slavery", which is not only insulting, but rude and
self-centered.  When Nvidia comes to your house, puts you in chains,
moves you to another continent against your will, and then forces you to
use their proprietary drivers, then you'll have room to talk.  Until
then, keep this useless drivel off the Gentoo mailing lists, please.

--=20
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux