List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] hal/dbus stops working after a while
From:       Emory Stuart Taylor <emory () mail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-08 6:05:31

The problem:
1.Turn on my computer
2. Bring up gnome
3. Hal, GVM works
4. wait a while while surfing the web, writing a paper, pretty much
anything...
5. Hal and/or Dbus stops working or doesn't work correctly, either way I
don't know and am having problems diagnosing it.
I've tried numerous versions of hal and dbus and everyone has seemed to
act this way.
Example of it not working (where normally there is no error):

$ gnome-volume-properties
libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply raised
"Message did not receive a reply"

Here's what dbus tells me *don't ask me what this means*
$ dbus-monitor
Failed to open connection to session message bus: Unable to determine
the address of the message bus
$ dbus-launch
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-8Tc1DcNaRi'
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=16696

Here's my rc levels, maybe something's wrong there?

# rc-update show |grep boot
bootmisc | boot
checkfs | boot
checkroot | boot