List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] This printing problem has bugged me for YEARS!
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo () fmp ! com>
Date:       2005-01-29 1:06:13

OK, here's a fix for Galeon.  Edit ~/.galeon/mozilla/galeon/prefs.js and
insert as many of the following quatrains as necessary - one for each
printer:

user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/<printer_name>.print_edge_bottom", 25);
user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/<printer_name>.print_edge_left", 25);
user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/<printer_name>.print_edge_right", 25);
user_pref("print.printer_PostScript/<printer_name>.print_edge_top", 25);

where <printer_name> is the name of your printer, e.g. "hpljiii" or
"BRN_38C8EF" (Brother HL-5170DN name based on the mac address).  I copied
these from prefs.js in Firefox, where the problem can be addressed in the
printer properties UI.

Galeon already has a lot of lines in prefs.js which look like ...

user_pref("print.tmp.printerfeatures.PostScript/<printer_name>.etc...);

but lines of this form doesn't work for setting the print_edge vars, and get
deleted on each run of the program.  Mozilla has both forms, and the former
is used for setting the explicit printer hw margins, as in Firefox.

This ought to be a bug, or at least a feature request, on Galeon, which is
otherwise a fine browser.

Thus spake Lindsay Haisley on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:22:36PM CST