List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Migrating to xorg from xfree
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2005-01-08 16:37:40

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 8:47 pm, Peter Gaži wrote:
> > > Be careful if you use a radeon card, as sucky ATI drivers don't work
> > > with X.org 6.8.
>
> hmmm, this is unpleasant, i have been using xfree 'til now, but now
> portage tries to force me into upgrading to xorg. should i unmerge
> ati-drivers before (i'm using them now happily)? or maybe upgrade to
> an older version of xorg like 6.7.something? What is the recommended
> way to upgrade from xfree to xorg on a desktop using ati-drivers?

Don't use ati-drivers.

> > Sure they do. X.org's radeon drivers are, in fact, *better* than those
> > XFree had.
>
> What are "X.org's radeon drivers"? Are they also proprietary or are
> they an attempt to make ati-drivers without ati?

They are Free software, part of the DRI project.

> How good and stable are they?

If X is configured wrong, they'll screw up your display. If not, they'll work
fine. If 3D is enabled, they have on occasion crashed X (though this was
months ago after which I just disabled the 3D since I never use it)

--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios