List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Printer/scanner/copier (was: "Support for Epson Stylus 2200 under Gentoo")
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo () fmp ! com>
Date:       2005-01-02 20:00:54

Thus spake Duncan on Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 06:08:52AM CST
> Right now, I'm looking at a $200 combo unit, HP.  That's the Walmart
> price, anyway.  I haven't comparison shopped yet, and will check at least
> Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, CompUSA, and online at pricewatch.com (as
> well as looking to see how linuxpringing.org's prices compare) before
> deciding for sure on anything, make, model, or where I buy, first.  (I
> just happened to be in Walmart the other day and checked out what they had
> as preliminary research.)

My experience with such combo units in general is that they do none of their
several jobs as well as single-function units do, and often have more
limitations and require more specialized software than do stand-alone units.
My wife has an HP Laserjet 3100 scanner/printer/copier/fax in her office
running on her Win98 box, and I'm totally unable to access it via our LAN,
apparently by the design of HP, according to their docs.  If she'd paid
more, she could have gotten one that could have been seen through the
network as a share on her computer.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at