List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Re: oooqs
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2004-12-30 6:19:06

matthew.east posted <E1CjlcR-0000fK-LH@mk-webmail-1.b2b.uk.tiscali.com>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:44:35 +0000:

>> Looks like arts is a dependency of oooqs by default.  USE="-arts" emerge
>> oooqs should not require KDE libs to be compiled.
>
> I have -arts in my flags. Also just to prove it:
>
> root@kallisto mdke # USE="-arts" emerge oooqs -a
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild  N    ] net-dns/libidn-0.3.7
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/libungif-4.1.0.1b
> [ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.3
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r3
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.3.2-r1
> [ebuild  N    ] app-office/oooqs-2.0.3

Ouch!  I'm a KDE person, but I'd not like Gnome dependencies, so I
understand your point.

Try using the -t (--tree) switch to emerge, as well.  Then you can see if
it's oooqs itself, or something else it's pulling in, that pulls in the
KDE stuff.  Also the -v/--verbose switch, so you (and we, when posted) can
see if there are use flags that might be doing it.

Hint:  I seldom DON'T use -v, so have all my various emerge aliases set up
to use -v by default, so I don't have to type it every time.

If that doesn't work, then you should be able to do it manually, adjusting
the ebuild as necessary to delete that dependency and feed configure the
appropriate options, possibly using ebuild unpack, then checking the
readmes and config info to see what you need to do. (I am of course
assuming you are correct about Debian doing it, as I don't have oooqs
installed here nor do I know anything about it specifically.) I do that
routinely for stuff like xorg, where I configure it /not/ to build stuff
like all the drivers, when all I use is ati, keyboard, and mouse drivers,
to /not/ build the 75dpi fonts, only the 100-dpi, etc.  You can put your
modified ebuild in your portage overlay dir.  See the various
portage/ebuild/emerge/make.conf man pages and other documentation
(including the second part of the Gentoo Handbook, if you haven't read it
recently).

You could then submit a bug report on oooqs, with the necessary ebuild
changes required to allow it to build based on Gnome (likely with the
gnome or gtk use flags) instead of KDE.

Or... if you haven't the time or ability to figure all that out, you can
submit a bug requesting that anyway, pointing out that it's possible with
Debian, but of course, functionality bug requests such as this do tend to
be honored sooner if there are suggested patches included to "make it
happen".

Benjamin Franklin