List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Migrating to xorg from xfree
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2004-12-30 15:29:00

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:50 am, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> Be careful if you use a radeon card, as sucky ATI drivers don't work
> with X.org 6.8.

Sure they do. X.org's radeon drivers are, in fact, *better* than those XFree
had.

> I upgraded because of the wonderful transparent windows, but I can't use
> them without hardware accelerated graphics.

Nope, the drivers *don't* handle the composite extention in hardware, but:
1. I'm not aware that *any* drivers do
2. Transparency is such a simple function (a [weighed] average) that it
shouldn't take much overhead to handle it in software; I expect that the
X.org people will improve the performance of software composite as they
integrate it more.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios