List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Fixing GTK Engines
From:       Spider <spider () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-24 21:12:49

begin  quote
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:49:55 +0800
Mike Gardiner <obz@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 00:42 +0800, Mike Gardiner wrote:
> > [FWD: from foser - I don't know why these aren't getting through]
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 13:22 +0800, Mike Gardiner wrote:
> > <snip-a-lot>
> > >
> > > See, we're back where we started.
> >
> > No we don't, the difference is that we don't set the deps for gtk1.
> > That
> > is the problem with gtk-engines2 & portage cache, the dynamic deps.
> >
> > - foser
>
> But if we don't set the deps for gtk1 (ie imlib) then people have
> compilation/configure errors because it's missing.
>
> I understand the dynamic deps are the problem, but we can't solve this
> using autodection because both if both gtk1 and imlib are required, we
> can't gaurantee that just because gtk1 is installed (ie detected), so
> is
> imlib.
>
> What am I missing?

I think what he suggests is to use USE flags for gtk2,  and if not,
completely and abhorrently ignore the DEPEND data for gtk+-1.x,  (since
the engines won't work without it, we don't break anything) and simply
do an :
if [ -f /usr/include/gdk_imlib.h ]; then...
   if [ -f  /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gdk/gdk.h ];
   ....  here we do buildstuff ....

fi fi

 ugly, bastardly, broken.  but sort of works in most cases.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain