List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo () fmp ! com>
Date:       2004-12-09 17:40:43

Thus spake Lindsay Haisley on Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:27:00AM CST

> Just FYI on this, running a dbus daemon alone has restored the CD-RW
> detection functionality.  I tried running hald but there are "issues" - and
> several times ran in to a very nasty race condidtion of some sort.  The hd
> activity light came on solid and the load average started climbing steadily.
> I forced a reboot when it got to 15.  It wasn't CPU load and top didn't show
> any processes eathing CPU (and the CPU core temp stayed quite low).  I had
> to red-button the system several times since shutdown -h|r just hung.
>
> Don't know if hald was responsible for this or not, but after I took it out
> of the mix this hasn't happened again.

Actually, I take this all back.  Sorry for the noise.  It looks as if
dbus-daemon depends on hald, and the two init scripts are interwoven.  Both
daemons are now being loaded, and I haven't been able to reproduce the
aforementioned race condition again.  Don't know.  I pulled and re-inserted
hald in the rc init mix a couple of times.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at