List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] tetex issues
From:       "Chris Barker" <Chris.Barker () noaa ! gov>
Date:       2004-10-22 21:26:16

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Chris Barker wrote:
>> I'm having some issues with tetex. Are any of you using it without
>> problems?
>
> No problems here; I have tetex-2.0.2-r3 installed from portage.

OK. but I'm running the same version.

>> 1)Problems with the time package, which used postscript times fonts.
>> The ligatures (fi, etc) are getting displayed wrong in xdvi.
>
> Sounds like a problem with xdvi.  Try kdvi (part of kdegraphics, I
> believe).

tried that, and yes, it works with kdvi, so there's something screwed up
in the xdvi config. However, I've found some other fonts that seem to
work OK with xdvi, but not kdvi AARRGG!

>> 3) related to previous: pdflatex seems to be putting bit mapped fonts
>> into the pdf rather than scalable fonts.
>
> AFAICT, pdflatex gives me scalable fonts.

you can usually tell by how good (or crappy) it looks in Acroread.

As I struggle with this, can I send you a sample file and see how it
works for you?

Have you ever tried the "times" package, which switched everything to PS
Times fonts. That's where things really go to heck. With the CM fonts it
works well, except the scalable fonts in the pdf issue.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov