List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?)
From:       Sven Vermeulen <swift () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-10-07 17:57:08

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 12:51:16PM +0200, Tim Weber wrote:
> I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website anyway.

If it's unmaintained and there are bugs about the document, we generally
remove the link from the index but the document remains
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml is still available).

If the document contains more erroneous information than your memoires, we
move it up the Attic.

> Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had with all of them was
> that there were no docs around which told me for example how to organize my
> tree, or which are the most commonly used objectClasses.  You know, all
> guides explain to you how to set up the software, all tell you that there is
> a tree and stuff, but none tells you how you should use it.

True, but without someone experienced in this area it's quite difficult to
write such docs.

      Sven Vermeulen

--
  Documentation & PR project leader