List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: emerging kdemultimedia problem.
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2004-08-21 10:26:44

Paul de Vrieze posted <200408201151.40084.pauldv@gentoo.org>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:51:32 +0200:

> To create a binary package it is normally more reliable to use "ebuild
> ebuildname package" before the merge step. This is also the way portage
> does it if you tell it to build packages. It builds a package that gets
> merged (so nothing gets merged from the install dir).

I didn't know how portage did it, so thanks for that.

The motive for using a post-merge quickpkg was to get any customized
configs in the binary package.  However, now that you brought it up, I see
a couple problems with it.  One, if one is normally using the portage
package FEATURE, which (as you explained) does the packaging and then
merges that rather than doing a qmerge from the fake-install, it's not
consistent. Two, if one *IS* attempting to include any customized configs
in the binary package, any needed etc-updates or whatever should be done
BEFORE the quickpkg, and I had failed to account for that.

Thus, you R correct.  Unless one is consistently doing manual
quickpkgs instead of using the portage FEATURE, and unless all reconfigs
are done BEFORE said manual quickpkging, doing it your way WOULD be more
consistent and reliable.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Benjamin Franklin