List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] (Super)Karamba
From:       Janne Johansson <jpjohans () cc ! helsinki ! fi>
Date:       2004-07-26 10:04:03

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:48, Jorn Argelo wrote:
> I've recently got Gentoo up and running on my AMD64. I want to compile karamba
> or superkaramba from the portage, but they are all masked, and I can't
> compile them. So my questions is, why?

Probably because they are not thoroughly tested. There are two kinds of
maskings in Gentoo hard-masked ebuilds and keyword masked ebuilds. If
you want to install a masked ebuil you have to unmask it first. Hard
masked ebuilds (masked in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask) can be
unmasked with a corresponding entry to /etc/portage/package.unmask and
keyword masked can be set to use the testing keyword in
/etc/portage/package.keywords. Hard masked ebuilds are considered
unstable/broken, but some of them work, ~keywords equal testing.

man portage ;)

> Can I just download the source code from the superkaramba site and
> compile it like that?

Yes you can, but I see no reason to bypass portage. If an ebuild is not
in a portage tree, you can always make one and have portage take care of
it.

--
Janne