List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: KDE as groupware
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2004-06-08 5:57:35

Ben Gardiner posted <200406071540.58525.blg@mast.queensu.ca>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:40:58 -0400:

> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction instead of RTMF'ing me.
> For the sake of posterity, here is their reference:
> http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/
> Have you come across this, or any others like it? Please post links.

I think I'd seen that, or something mentioning some of the same
env-vars.  There's also some stuff I came across that's more
developer-speak and thus not quite as user friendly, but can be useful,
none-the-less.  I don't have a direct URL, but I came across it while
googling (using the google-linux search @ google.com/linux, which I've set
up to replace the google-feeling-lucky ggl: enhanced browsing shortcut in
Konqueror's config, so usable from it and from the run dialog).

In particular, I was googling for info on entries in the menu desktop
files that I didn't understand.  They have pages describing the various
entries and what they mean to KDE.  Thus, for example, there's one that
hides the entry in the menu (visible=false or something like that, from
memory), but still makes it available for file association use.  I don't
like a "Home" entry on the root K menu, for instance, so I added that
parameter there so the default Home icon (at least on Mandrake) stays
hidden on the menu.  Removing it causes strange problems opening
directories with Konqueror, due to the other info in that desktop file, so
I have to leave it there, but I do NOT have to see it.  (I have my own
additional .desktop file and menu entry under system, file, that I use,
instead.)

Similarly, there is a .desktop file entry that causes it to NOT use the
existing dcop interface if the app or library is already loaded, but start
an additional instance.

As well, and of perhaps more interest to you, there's documentation on
specific app and kpart classes, such as those allowing command line access
(thus, konsole, of course, but also the konsole kpart available in
konqueror, and a similar one available in kate), and a method available to
turn them off, disallowing any KDE based konsole access in any form, with
an ability to configure .desktop files to tell the system the app HAS such
terminal emulator access, so you can restrict non-KDE apps as well.  Thus,
the same base menu structure can be used by privileged and non-privileged
users, with a configuration setting telling KDE which users get to see and
run those menu entries and which don't.  There are a couple other such
classes as well, including IIRC one to allow or disallow various config
features, depending on how locked down you want to be.  (Can users change
their desktop wallpaper?  Can users edit their own menu?  What about fonts
and GUI widget colors?  Can they set their own enhanced browsing shortcuts
as mentioned above?)

As I said, I found this info while googling for info on .desktop file
entries I saw and wondered what they did, then rather than attempting to
remember all the details, I remembered the general idea, that it was
available, and where to search for it if I needed the info later.  That's
far more efficient for me than trying to retain unnecessary info at the
time, allowing me to retain far more "know it's available and in general
where to look" info, like this.

Benjamin Franklin