List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] something weird with my kde fonts
From:       lukas <lukas () web-xs ! de>
Date:       2004-03-23 18:15:34

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 15:29, Hector Pizarro wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list and not so sure if this is the right list for
> this problem, anyway... I'm using kde 3.2.0 + xfree 4.3.0 with my
> gentoo up to date from february. Kde is the X manager by default.
> Sometimes when I start my pc the login dialog appears with very small
> fonts, as if the font server was not loaded or something. If I log to
> my account, all the fonts appear equally small. Right now when I get
> into this I do CTRL+ALT+Backspace until I get the login page with the
> corrent font size, then I can go to my account and everything looks
> fine.
> The question is, why Kde fails to get the right fonts the first time?
> it looks random as, this morning as example, everything went smooth.
> I put /etc/init.d/xfs in the default level but it doesn't seem to do
> any difference. Any ideas?

Do you use any gnome programs?
After starting gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon is running
in the background and all kde fonts will be rendered much bigger.
Check it out with "ps ax | grep gnome".

Maybe it would help if you check out /usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde and
add a "sleep 2" after the environment initialization and before kde
starts.

These are the only hints I have. :)

cu

lukas