List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Errors when loging on via gdm
From:       Mark <mark () mwgary ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-12-28 23:24:19

Hi,

I've just completed compiling and installing my new Gentoo system.

I'm well pleased with it, but I seem to have problems with user logins
via gdm.

For some reason, it only allows root to login.  When I try my ordinary
user account, I get a little box that says "Your session only lasted 10
seconds" and them goes straight back to the logon screen.

The following errors are reported in .xsession-errors file:-

/etc/X11/gdm/Presession//Default: Registering your session with wtmp and
utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/Presession//Default: running: sessreg -a -w /var/log/utmp
-x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l :0 mark

As root can logon with out problems I'm assuming its a permissions
problem somewhere, but *where* exactly would I fix that.

If anyone can throw some light on this, I would be very grateful, as I
don't want to continue using the root account for obvious reasons.

As an asside, I have no problems at all with loging in through the text
console.

Thanks

Mark Gary.