List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] portage (?)  question
From:       "Davide Ricci" <davide () alter ! it>
Date:       2003-12-12 14:59:16

Hi,
I did install gentoo on my machine starting from a stage2 tarball.
After bringing up the minimum system wanted to install the KDE and did a
# emerge -u kde

But the compilation wasn't successful since the ebuild 'qt-3.2.2-r1' exploited
a bug in the g++ compiler ( which had been already reported in bugzilla but
not fixed and marked as 'can't resolve' ) that broke the whole process.
So I managed to compile qt by hand , just by typing 'make' in every single dir
that made up the sources (i.e. the dirs in /var/tmp/portage/qt...) , and that
succeeded indeed(I thought it could be a bug(?) in g++'s memory management
and thought that breakin up the compilation in unit could help ). As a final
note: I used the makefiles as provided by the 'configure' script launched by
emerge.

Now , my questions:
1) How can I know how to put everything in place , i.e. where to put the
libraries, headers and alike? (trying to guess: cp -r
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2-r1/image/* / ?)

2) Even if a 'make install' would suffice (it does not actually) if i do an
#emerge -up kde

I still see qt-3.2.2-r1 marked as [ N    ]

'cause of course portage isn't aware of the recent build. Is there a way to
manually update the pkgs' db?

Please don't flame me, i'm still a newbie of gentoo, and I'm riskying of
getting fired since whenever I have five minutes left on job I'm sticking on
this brand new gentoo box.

TIA,
D_