List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Desktop Restructuring
From:       Caleb Tennis <caleb () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-12-11 21:59:15

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 06:58 pm, Brandon Hale wrote:
> If I may, I'd like to ask that Obz (representing Gnome) and Caleb
> (representing KDE) present their plans for restructuring here, as well as
> summarizing prior discussion on this topic so everyone has a chance to give

Well, you caught me.  I don't really have many ideas on the topic.  I really
see this falling into two categories:

* put desktop specific apps in their own category
* spread desktop specific apps around based on their category

And the real question is, where does the divide happen?

Currently, kde applications go into their respective categories around
portage.  The only thing separated out are the base kde packages.  However,
some people may think that that a few of the packages, quanta and kdevelop,
for example, should go into a kde-extra category.  I'm not against it, though
I'm not necessarily for it.  Instead, I just want to be consistent with what
everyone else is doing.

It looks to me like, in keeping with what's already in portage, I should
create a kde-extra category and move some of the more popular kde
applications there.  Unless there's even broader restructuring plans that are
being thought of?

Caleb