List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Desktop Restructuring
From:       Brandon Hale <tseng () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-12-09 23:58:22

Hi, I'm here too ;)

Alot of you already know me, I manage various window managers and
desktop utils, especially *box stuffs. Lately I've been working on two projects, the \
first being to wipe out unmaintained packages (by creating relevant herds and \
enlisting developers), and also making an effort to bridge various projects working \
independently on Gentoo Desktop.

The major groups are KDE, Gnome, and a few developers working independently on WM's. \
The third group, until recently, was largely unstructured. The other two groups are \
both looking to restructure, and this change will potentially affect all of us, so \
having a good game plan ahead of time will be very helpful.

If I may, I'd like to ask that Obz (representing Gnome) and Caleb (representing KDE) \
present their plans for restructuring here, as well as summarizing prior discussion \
on this topic so everyone has a chance to give input and get some bearing on where we \
are going. As a spoiler, the basic idea is to seperate non-specific applications from \
the Gnome and KDE projects' direct maintainership and pass them on to a third party.

Hope this gets the ball rolling ;)
--tseng