List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Ati Radeon 7000 and pc crashes :(
From:       Michele Di Trani <imagino () libero ! it>
Date:       2003-11-12 11:14:12

On my recently bought Athlon XP 2000+ I've attached an Ati Radeon 7000 on AGP
8x port. The card works perfectly with the "ati" drivers but these are good
just for 2D graphics. So I 've decided to try "radeon" drivers, following the
documentation I've found on the net. Now here's the strange behaviours:

 1 - The pc starts and the card is recognized. X starts too (I use KDM as a
login manager). IF i try to restart X Server from KDM the pc hangs and even
the SysRQ+B doesen't respond. The same thing happens If I log in and then I
logout, returning to KDM.

 2 - Games run smoothly AFAIK. Glxgears in a window runs at about 220fps (is
that normal? Anyway...is fast enough for my needs). SOME screensaver crash
(and after that, 3D is SSSLOOOW), SOME hangs my pc.

 3 - Blender run correctly, but if any "2D" object moves over his window the
PC hangs and I can only reboot it with SysRq+B (or +O; even +K do
something...but after a little HD scratching I can only press the reset
button on the case). When I say "2D object" I mean a new window (for example,
the rendering window) and the "Amor" inutility.

 Here's my XFree Config (I've cutted out the off-topic parts):

 Section "Module"

 # This loads the DBE extension module.

     Load        "dbe"     # Double buffer extension

 # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
 # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
     SubSection  "extmod"
       Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
     EndSubSection

 # This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
     Load        "type1"
     Load        "speedo"
     Load        "freetype"
 #    Load        "xtt"

 # This loads the GLX module
     Load       "glx"
 # This loads the DRI module
     Load       "dri"

 EndSection

[...]

# **********************************************************************
 # Graphics device section
 # **********************************************************************

 # Any number of graphics device sections may be present

 # Standard VGA Device:

 Section "Device"
     Identifier   "Standard VGA"
     VendorName   "Unknown"
     BoardName   "Unknown"

 # The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
 # the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

 #    Chipset   "generic"

 # The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
 # modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
 # module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
 # indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

     Driver     "vga"
 # The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
 # this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
 # section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
 # devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
 # normally be included unless there is more than one video device
 # intalled.

 #    BusID      "PCI:0:10:0"

 #    VideoRam   256

 #    Clocks   25.2 28.3

 EndSection

 # Device configured by xf86config:

 Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Ati Radeon 7000"
     Driver      "radeon"
     #VideoRam    65536
     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
 EndSection

[...]

 Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
 EndSection

 I hope that someone of you can help me. It would be a shame to have an unused
3D accelerator :(