List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 2.x Main Menu issues
From:       Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo () fmp ! com>
Date:       2003-10-14 22:24:16

Thus spake Spider on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:04:56PM CDT
> > I'm pretty aware how I have mine set and I'm aware how to set up a
> > mailing list via many different means. This list unlike the
> > Gentoo-user list doesn't place the list as the reply to. To reply to
> > me via the list or for anyone to reply to the list instead of
> > personally you have to manually put in the list address because if you
> > hit reply to it and don't it will be going back to the person that
> > sent it and not the list and there is nothing in the current header
> > configuration to make it reply properly.
>
> Actually What I consider "wellbehaved" clients will reply to the list if
> they are told to, but this will be overridden by a user with a ReplyTo
> since that sinifies that the sender address != real address.   But my
> complaint is towards people who specify a ReplyTo when they don't have
> the need to do so, since its a bad practice that adds work for others.

A "wellbehaved" MUA, e.g. mutt, will reply to the list if told to and ignore
other headers.

If using mutt, and I have an appropriate list definition in my .muttrc....

	r	- sends reply to Reply-to address, or From address if no
		  Reply-to is present

	g	- sends reply to Reply-to address, or From address if no
		  Reply-to is present, plus every address listed in the To
		  and Cc headers.

	L	- sends reply to, and only to the list through which the
		  post was distributed, ignoring From and Reply-To headers.

Mutt's pretty good.  I wish I could find a GUI mail reader with as much
smartz as the mutt!

Unfortunately, a lot of mailing lists overwrite the From header with the
list address, so in the absence of a Reply-To header, there's no indication,
except possibly the Return-path address (which reflects the envelope sender
address) of who sent the post.

Spider is kind and generous with his advice, and has a good sense of humor,
so I will honor his request to nuke my Reply-To header in spite of the fact
that his MUA isn't as wellbehaved as it might be ;-)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at