List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Close button
From:       Chris I <chris () cidesign ! ca>
Date:       2003-09-14 4:41:34

Bleh. Forgot to reply to list. anyway:

On 2003.09.12 20:06, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Saturday 13 September 2003 11:21, Pietro Leone wrote:
> > I forgot to specify that I use Gnome2, I remember that there was a
> > preference in Gnome1.4 that allowed to choose the position of the
> > buttons. Why Gnome2 does not have it anymore?

Gnome2 uses a different window manager than gnome 1. Metacity is used
now,
wheras gnome 1.4 used sawfish.

> Without sounding like a KDE fanboy, because GNOME felt the need to
> cut
> down
> config options, and make mandatory defaults for many options. Which
> is
> why I
> like Gnome 1.4, why I dont like gnome 2.x and why I use KDE 3! :)

And because Gnome was largely rewritten. They didnt decide to just rip
out
the options. Many of the non-accessible options are able to be set
through
gconf-editor.

> > > If you use gnome with metacity as windowmanger, you have to find
> > > metacity-theme which supplies that.
> >
> > No other chance?
> > Hell! ;-)
>
> Yeah I know :| but it looks like the only way you can go with this.
> Unless
> someone knows of any gconf hacks to change this. Perhaps a posting to
> the
> Gnome user list?

As pointed out by Ben, try emerging the new sawfish, as it is a gnome2-
capable window manager.

Also, why not try editing the theme. After a few minutes of looking at
them, they are fairly straight forward. (move the line with the close
button to before the line with the title, iirc)

--

Chris I

Linux: transforms your microcomputer in a workstation.
Windows NT: transforms your workstation in a microcomputer.

   -- Paulo F. Sedrez