List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Knowledge and help needed in the area of modules loading.
From:       "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphdewitt () charter ! net>
Date:       2003-08-18 9:11:51

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:46 pm, Ralph F. De Witt wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> After playing with the Cdrom problem, I did the stupid thing and coruppted
> the system. I have a new install and for the first time I have used the
> genkernel thing to make the kernel. This is the first time I have used
> modules to the extent that the this auto kernel maker has used them.
>
> I have three problems in the area of autoloading modules.
>
> I am using scsi emulation for my DVD and CD/RW. I have sr mod and sg in the
> modules.autoload script. But the modules fail to load during boot. Should
> there be other scsi modules loaded also? Which ones?
>
> I have a USB scanner installed. I have the module scanner in
> modules.autoload, but it fails to load during boot. Same questions as
> above.
>
> My sound is also not working I have a SB Live installed, and I am
> autoloading the modules sound and emu10k1 but no joy emu10k1 fails to load
> during boot. Same question as above.
>
> This is my modules.autoload file:
>
> ide-scsi
> sg
> sr_mod
> 8139too
> nvidia
> scanner
> sound
> emuu10k1
>

> Thanks for all your help in the past.
>
> Ralph
>

> --
Hi all:
I want to thank all who have repied and helped me with all my problems. The
help and support here has been super. The problems are now all corrected and
all is working normally. The problems lie in the /etc/modules.autoload file
containing one typo. The word emu10k1 had two u's. Also my kernel config had
sr_mod and sg compiled in. They were not modules. So I removed them from the
/etc/modules.autoload file. Also the /etc/sane.d/epson.conf file that I
thought I had edited for the usb scanner turned out to not be edited. So that
has corrected all the system problems. I have tested sound, scanner, and
DVD/CD-ROM and CD/RW's they read data disk's and eject works on both. Again
thanks for all your help.
- --
Ralph