List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Can't open mixer device
From:       Simon Mushi <mushis () mail ! lafayette ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-12 3:58:05

Greetings to all once again,

I have managed to recompile my kernel and slowly but surely restore my
system to its past glory after re-emerged nvidia-kernel, some vmware mods,
and alsa-driver as well as alsa-oss.

However, I still get an error message on loading on Gnome ..."Couldn't
open mixer device dev/sound/mixer"... and as a result I am unable to play
audio.. Even at teh console using mpg123 to play an mp43 i get a message
"Unable to open /dev/dsp"....Does anyone know how to get rid of this...

All I can say is that I once had it all working like a charm...i will get
back there soon.

Thx for any help,

Simon