List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] xserver not starting after change nvidia->ati
From:       Gerrit Lammert <g.lammert () tu-bs ! de>
Date:       2003-04-26 11:55:36

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my graphics card from Geforce 256 to Radeon 9000. I
had my X-Server configured for Geforce-Support (including nvidia
drivers and stuff) and now, I have some problems to get X running with
my new Radeon 9000, even standard-VGA won`t start.
I tried and installed the (masked) ebuild with the latest ati-drivers.
They come with their own utility to configure X, nevertheless, it isn`t
running.
This is what I did:
unemerged both nvidia-driver packages (nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx),
emerged the ati-drivers.
My newly created XF86Config looks like this:
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0016145/XF86Config-4.txt
When I type "startx", the screen goes blank and returnes with an error.
The errorlog looks like this:
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0016145/XFree86.0.log.txt
If I remove the glx-driver from the setup, there is not much
improvement:
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0016145/XFree86.0.log.without.glx.txt

The log says something about kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 which was the
kernel I compiled XFree with. I now use kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r2. Could
there be a problem?

Please help.
Thanks

Gerrit

System specs:
Epox 8kta3 with Athlon XP 1800+ and 512 MB SD-Ram
Ati Radeon 9000 AGP
2.4.20-gentoo-r2
emerge -u system done
XFree 4.2.1