List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] hotplug, usb, and Handspring Visor
From:       "Matthew Munz" <mattmunz () email ! com>
Date:       2003-03-13 4:49:53

Hi all,

(cross-post from the forums http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=41061)

Inspired by the various PDA guides, I'm trying to get my handspring visor (USB) to \
sync. After reading the following post, I got the impression that I need hotplug to \
make this all work.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1579

During boot, I see a lot of successful USB messages, followed by

hotplug script /etc/hotplug/usb.rc failed at start

Here is the part of the script that results in the error (returns 1).

if [ -d /proc/bus/usb ]; then
# If we see there are no busses, we "failed" and
# can report so even if we're partially nonmodular.
COUNT=`ls /proc/bus/usb | wc -l`
if [ $COUNT -le 2 ]; then
umount /proc/bus/usb
rmmod usbcore >/dev/null 2>&1
return 1
fi

Any ideas? Do I even need hotplug? When I try to sync in JPilot, I get the following \
error.

pi_bind: No such file or directory

- Matt