List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] KDE 3.1 on gentoo 1.4
From:       Robert Cole <robert.cole () support4linux ! com>
Date:       2003-01-29 16:04:23

> If I am not very much mistaken there was a "freeze" for the final some
> time ago so xfree 4.3 will not be a part of it.

True enough about xfree but 4.3 will make it's way into the source tree
eventually and I find updating xfree86 much more of a pain most of the time
and I find it easier to just build the system with that in the first place.
:)

I'll likely rebuilt my system when 1.4 final comes out and then again when 4.3
of xfree86 comes out. :) I don't mind.

I do nightly emerge -u world's as it is. :)

Besides each time I rebuild my system it gets better and better as I find what
I like and don't like and update my list of software to install and such. I
find that there are times when updating things on a regular bases all the
time breaks some things. A recent example is gnucash completely broke with an
update (don't know which because I don't run gnucash all that often) and had
to re-emerge it to fix it. Cleaning a system off once in a while is a good
thing I think. :)

I normally test allot of software and enjoy doing a bit of bug reporting now
and again but time is short these days with it taking 2 days to build gentoo
on my 2.2 ghz machine and with a heavy load of study for my CCIE so I haven't
had time to build an RCx release of gentoo.

Robert