List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] localization
From:       Anders Johansson <andjoh () rydsbo ! net>
Date:       2002-12-31 10:04:26

Hi,

I asked this on gentoo-user but didn't receive any replies, so I thought
I'd try here as well.

I'm running gentoo 1.4 with a gnome2 desktop. I'm having some problems
getting my keyboard settings to work.

Running "locale -a" I only get C and POSIX, but when I run the same
command on my SuSE installation I get a long list of possible locales. I
can see the locale files installed, so it must be some configuration
I've missed, but I can't for the life of me find what or where. Any
pointers greatly appreciated.

I'm also not getting the euro character. I suspect this is related to
the above, since in SuSE to get the euro working I had to set the locale
to "sv_FI@euro" to get iso8859-15, but I can't be sure. If I'm wrong and
it's not related to the locale problem above, is there a howto somewhere
on how to get the euro character working in gentoo?

Finally, when I upgrade to the very latest gnome (using ~x86) there are
several parts of gnome that stops working with my keyboard settings (=E5=E4=
=F6
doesn't work in e.g. gnome-terminal). Downgrading to the "stable"
version fixes it, so I guess it's a bug in the "unstable" version.
Should I report this as a bug in gentoo or to the gnome people? If it's
a gentoo report, where should I file it?

Thanks in advance
Anders