List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Kdeinit startup time problem -- Solved!
From:       Sundance <sundance () ierne ! eu ! org>
Date:       2002-12-29 15:30:45

I heard Jim LeBay said:

> I also have this problem on one of my machines.  Kdm takes takes over
> 1 minute to launch on my work desktop.

Okay, problem solved.

Things got back to normal when I switched to XFree 4.2.1-rc2.

I think our problem might have had to do with this:

  12 Oct 2002; Martin Schlemmer <azarah@gentoo.org> xfree-4.2.1.ebuild :

  Create /tmp/.{ICE,X11}-unix and fix permissions.  Also remove stupid
  delay if not correct permissions.  This should close bug #8281.

KDE does use those files for id purposes, I believe; if their
permissions were b0rked it would certainly explain KDM getting confused
about it.

So, problem solved, whee! Thank you all for your help, guys. :)

-- S.