List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] Kdeinit startup time problem
From:       Sundance <sundance () ierne ! eu ! org>
Date:       2002-11-23 17:57:06

Greetings,

Some days back, I upgraded from KDE 3.0.3 to KDE 3.0.4. Emerge --update,
etc, it's smooth and efficient, gotta love Gentoo and portage.

Only, a few issues appeared since then (font rendering bugs in
Konqueror, nsplugins always crash, etc). The most annoying of which is
that KDM startup went from a few seconds to over a -minute-. More
precisely, for a hundred seconds, I get the grey default X screen with
a 'busy' clock mouse pointer, and the HD turns. Once KDM is loaded,
though, everything goes on normally.
I traced it back to a problem in kdeinit -- when kdeinit is already
running, KDM starts in two seconds. When it's not... well, I try to
keep a book handy and read a page or two while kdeinit loads.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any idea what I could try to do
about it? (Outside getting more books, I mean.)

Also, in terms of stability and reconfiguration issues, is it worth
switching to KDE 3.1rc3?

Thanks in advance, guys.

-- S.