List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] KDE login problem after update
From:       Henri =?iso-8859-1?q?Schom=E4cker?= <henri.schomaecker () virtual-homes ! de>
Date:       2002-10-16 1:18:43

Hi folks,

after updating kde-3.0.3 to kde-3.0.4 as su root in a kde-terminal, logged in
as hs (me ;-) ) I can`t login again as hs in kdm after a reboot.
When entered uid and pwd, kdm tries to start my desktop-environment, but then
falls back to the kdm-login.

/tmp/ksocket-hs and /tmp/kde-hs with the corresponding softlinks in
/home/hs/.kde3 are missing.

I`ve had this problem once before, when I ruined my kde-setup by mistake.
I only managed to fix this by deleting all ~/.kde3- and depending tmp-files,
but I don`t want to do this again because for sure, all my loved
desktop-config was gone then.
Don`t want to go through this procedure again.

Which files do I have to add or delete to get my login back?

Many thanks in advance,
	yours Henri