List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome-terminal and installed fonts
From:       Karan <karan () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2002-09-24 9:34:12

* Spider (spider@gentoo.org) wrote:
> begin  quote
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:15:09 +0200
> Jozsa Kristof <dyn@ond.vein.hu> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> >
> > I wonder why gnome-terminal cant see the fonts *properly* installed.
> > I've pulled up lfp-fixed and none of the fonts appear at
> > gnome-terminal's font choose dialog box. Anyone can explain this?
> > (Yep, I've included the new fonts dir into XF86Config and even
> > regenerated the fonts.dir+fonts.scale file for those dirs..
>

> Gnome Terminal only shows monospaced fonts.. you know, terminal ones.
> Dont ask me why really *G*
>

> theres a hack around this that I found after some googling:
>
> <quote
> source="http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2002/debian-gtk-gnome-
> 200206/msg00337.html">
>
> This is a known bug in gnome-terminal2.  To fix it, open up gconf-editor
> and alter /apps/gnome-terminal/profile/Default/x_font to the X font name
> you want.  Havoc knows what the problem is and will fix it soon, in
> theory.  =)
>
> WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH THE FONT SETTING AFTER DOING THIS!  Even just
> clicking on the control in the preferences dialog will throw away your
> settings.
> </quote>
>

> > tia,
> > Christopher
> >
> > ps. btw, which package includes gfontsel? Or it's not ported to gnome2
> > yet?--
> Not ported yet.
>
> //Spider
>

> --
> begin  .signature
> This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
> See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information.
> end

well afaik, the gnome terminal requires you use a font that has no
variable widths, if you DO use one, then they spaces appear skewed and
so do the fonts !

generally, fixed width fonts are *.pcf.gz etc etc, ie nexus.pcf
bright.pcf

--
Karan "klinx/karan"              |  /*\
http://karant.ath.cx/            |  \ / Join the ASCII Ribbon Campaign