List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    [gentoo-desktop] [gentoo-announce] Gentoo usage statistics
From:       "Maik Schreiber" <blizzy () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-07-28 18:48:12

Fellow Gentoo users,

In an attempt to help Gentoo developers find out more about their user
base, I've set up a statistics web site at http://gentoo.iq-computing.de

Please note that we desperately need more volunteering machines
participating in this survey. Of course, participation is entirely
optional and free.

To participate, you need to install a little client software that
regularly transmits information about your machine to our servers.
Installing this client is really easy:

    emerge gentoo-stats

After installation, you will need to obtain a system ID for your machine.
To do so, simply run "gentoo-stats --new" (without quotes). As soon as
you've done with that, you should set up a cronjob that runs the client in
regular intervals. ("gentoo-stats --new" will print out information to
help you with that.)

As is described at http://gentoo.iq-computing.de, we really _do_ respect
your privacy. Any information that gets transmitted is totally anonymous
and cannot be backtracked to you.

Thanks for helping us making Gentoo better.

Yours,

Maik Schreiber, Gentoo developer