List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Xchat/Gnome 2 & KDE Problems
From:       Jens Mayer <jensmayer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-07-02 21:02:43

* On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:24:31 +0000, Chris Spencer wrote:

> I have been able to troubleshoot the problem to trying to run Perl
> scripts.
>  If I remove my Perl scripts and run Xchat, it runs fine now. However,
>  if I try to load any Perl scripts, it seg faults 100% of the time. It
>  does not matter which script I try to load.

I had exactly the same problem with Xchat and Perl Scripts, running them
by clicking Xchat's Icon (i.e. while using Windowmaker, or calling it via
the menus of fluxbox, blackbox and KDE).

Launching the program via an opened shell did work. So I added some paths
to my config-files in /etc/X11/Sessions by including the line "source
/etc/profile.env", and suddenly it all worked fine.

My /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox for example has these two lines
added (should work with your KDE-Session as well, since it works
for Windowmaker, Gnome, Blackbox and so on):

 source /etc/profile.env
 export PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:${PATH}"
 [...]
 /usr/bin/fluxbox

My PATH-line in /etc/profile.env looks like this:

 export PATH='/usr/local/bin:/opt/Acrobat5:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin:
 /usr/qt/2/bin:/usr/kde/3/bin:/usr/kde/2/bin:/usr/wine/bin'

[one line, your paths may look different]

Don't know if that's the right way to do, but at least it works
for me here.

HTH,
Jens

--