List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] I seem to have partially broken TTF support
From:       Timothy Grant <tjg () craigelachie ! org>
Date:       2002-05-29 16:53:17

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 22:23, Timothy Grant wrote:
> This evening, I decided I wanted to try and add a new TTF font to my
> system. So I put the TTF file in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype which is
> where all the MS fonts (e.g, Verdana, Georgia, Andale Mono) reside.
>
> I then tried to run "ttmkfdir > fonts.scale" and couldn't, because I
> didn't have ttmkfdir installed, so I emerged ttmkfdir.
>
> Then ran "ttmkfdir > fonts.scale" and "mkfontdir > fonts.dir" and then
> restarted X.
>
> I have done something to screw things up, as I usually use Andale Mono
> as my terminal and gVim font, and it has disappeared. While the Verdana
> name is still on the list and I can select it, it appears to be
> Helvetica instead.

I hate replying to my own e-mail, but after unsuccessfully and partially
successfully playing with ttmkfdir and mkfontdir, I took another tack.
After looking at the ebuild file I noticed that it grabs a file called
truetype.tar.gz. I found the file in my /usr/portage/distfiles
directory, untarred it, made sure that it came with a fonts.dir and
fonts.scale, moved the entire contents to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype,
restarted X and presto, everything worked as it should again.

Next thing is to do a diff on the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files to see
what's different about them.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.