List:       gentoo-desktop
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-desktop] Having problems executing executables and
From:       Martin Blix Grydeland <mbgryde () online ! no>
Date:       2002-05-21 16:44:38

It seems to me that you are trying to run an executable from the cdrom
that requires shared modules (.so files) to be loaded to work. Linux
systems will normally due to security concerns not search the executable
directory for such files.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH controls which directories are searched for shared
modules, in addition and before those specified in /etc/ld.so.conf

The following should make the dynamic linker search the current path for
shared modules:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

A better approach would be to include the cdrom path in question only:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/cdrom/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Execute either in the shell before running the executable.

However this concern has most likely been dealt with by Borland, and
instead of running the main executable you should be running a
shell-script in the same directory. This shell-script will take care of
temporarily adding the correct library paths before running the
executable.

Best regards

Martin Blix Grydeland