List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-amd64] Measure network speeds between machines?
From:       Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-06 20:11:59

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    Just taking a shot at the dark on this list before I ask something
> in the forums. Is there a simple app (or even something at the command
> line) that I can use to measure network throughput between two Gentoo
> machines on my internal network?

Check out net-analyzer/ttcp and net-misc/iperf

You could also probably "roll your own" test by using netcat to
transfer /dev/zero from one machine to another or something like that.

>    Background: We sold our house & moved. Comcast talked me into
> getting there new 'Blast' level Internet service with "speed up to
> 50Mb/S" but darned if it isn't slower than regular Comcast ISP service
> was a the previous house. In our house I typically got about 27Mb/S
> download using something like www.Speakeasy.net/speedtest at a
> measurement tool. Here I've never gotten higher than 22Mb/S. I do
> however get much better upload speeds - about 12Mb/S instead of the
> 5Mb/S I got at the house.

I don't have Comcast but often ISPs will host a speed test server
inside their network, so you can ensure the speeds you're seeing are
not being limited by normal Internet slowdown issues outside of their
system.

To take a page out of the generic ISP tech support, I would try
plugging your computer directly into the cable modem and seeing what
kind of speeds you get then, to eliminate any outside factors.

If you're using your own router, I would check to ensure it is fast
enough to handle that kind of speed. If it has Gigabit ethernet ports
that is usually a good sign. If it only has 10/100 then you might wind
up replacing it with something more modern.