List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: cpu frequncy scaling module fail to load
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2009-12-18 7:08:40

Nadav Horesh posted on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:20:07 +0200 as excerpted:

> Well, it is a good linux lesson, I'll may try, just for the sake of
> improved boot speed. Does it goes well with the binary nvidia driver?

It should indeed improve boot speed.  I don't do proprietary drivers (tho
FWIW I don't worry so much about firmware, everybody draws the line
somewhere, that's just where I draw mine) so don't know for sure on the
nVidia driver, but AFAIK, as long as you don't disable module loading
entirely, you're probably good.

Note also that the GPL will let a user do what they want too, including
compiling the nVidia drivers into the kernel itself, if you can figure
out how (I believe it's doable, but I wouldn't know how...), as long as
you don't distribute the resulting product.  Of course, it's possible
that wouldn't be legal from nVidia's side, I honestly don't know, but the
GPL lets you do it from its side as a user as long as the nVidia side
allows it as well -- you just can't legally distribute the result.  If
you were to do something like that, you could again turn off module
directly into the kernel.