List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: USB auto mounting
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2009-11-19 19:30:42

sean posted on Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:02:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> Well I found the problem, and the fix.
>
> My kernel config was no longer supporting card readers. Why, I do not
> know how, perhaps some upgrade caused it?
>
> Here is a link too show the options I needed to enable,
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SD_and_MMC_card_readers Just the basic
> section was all that was needed. I also added in the Multi USB Card
> Readers section as well.

Thanks for the fix report! =:^)

SD/MMC cards, I was thinking standard USB thumb-drives.  I looked back at
your initial post and followups (to this one) and didn't see anything
about a sd/mmc card reader, only usb device, and the auto mounting in the
title, thus indicating a filesystem, but nothing indicating you meant
cards, and I was thinking thumbdrives and portable disks[1].  If you'd
mentioned that it was a card reader, perhaps someone could have set you
on the right path a bit sooner.

---
[1] FWIW, I recently found a 1TB/931TiB USB external disk on sale at
Fry's Electronics for $80!  That's lower than pricewatch.com's listings!
I jumped on it and grabbed one, and now have a nice external backup that
allowed me to reorganize my quad-spindle 300GB/279GiB per-spindle SATA
based md/RAID, a job I just finished a couple days ago.  So I have
portable USB disks on the brain, ATM. =:^)