List:       gentoo-amd64
Subject:    [gentoo-amd64]  Re: emerge -eav system failed with ati-drivers
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2009-06-23 3:25:35

David Fellows <fellows@unb.ca> posted
200906221754.n5MHsr1q010698@mailserv.unb.ca, excerpted below, on  Mon, 22
Jun 2009 14:54:52 -0300:

> If you do at least you could recreate the patched source tree manually.
> First rename your existing linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2 to something else.
>
> After you unpack and apply patches, copy your .config file into the new.
> make oldconfig, make and so on. Install this kernel into /boot and
> update grub accordingly. Boot into it. emerge your ati driver.

The mainline/Linus/kernel.org 2.6.22 kernel is always available from
kernel.org.  Gentoo's gentoo-sources kernel is described as "lightly
patched", so the unpatched kernel.org kernel would probably work.  I've
always used mainline, here, and always handled the kernel myself as well,
since I knew how to do it already in Mandrake, when I switched.

If the Gentoo patches are needed or you want to use the ebuild, both it
and the Gentoo patches should be available from the Gentoo source
repository.